Sunday, January 2, 2011

Notes from the Tilt-A-Whirl

It's a dizzying read, but it's good.


One of my many favorite sections:
Ants are easy to describe. They have six legs. But what words do I have to capture the transcendent? The truest description I conceive if sure to have a false side. Which of these twenty-six letters should I use to try and shape you a bust of the Infinite?
Shall I tell you a poem about footprints in the sand?
Should we talk about spheres, about spinning, about war, about philosophy, about children and insects and soil and tombstones and stars and antimatter? It is not enough.
When the Artist set Himself to this same task, naked mole rats happened. So did haiku, Saturn's rings, the three forms of water, fire, Greek people, and the occasional egg-laying mammal.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen this book before, it looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete