Sunday, April 10, 2011

Digging in the dirt

It is a golden maxim to cultivate the garden for the nose, and the eyes will take care of themselves. ~Robert Louis Stevenson

Yesterday we spent the heat of the day digging in the dirt. I planned to put the herbs in the pots as fast as I could, among all the other things I had to do. But I learned an important lesson: Planting herbs shouldn't be a hurried event. I should plan for a shower afterwards so that I can dig into the dirt so hard my fingernails turn black. And if I'm not taking time to smell the rosemary, it quickly becomes boring business. Everything else on my list must wait while I cultivate this little garden "for the nose."


Flat Italian Parsley

Red Basil - this will be great for salads!

I've never planted a cherry tomato plant. Any wisdom?

We use basil in everything imaginable, so this is essential.

Lavender. And yes, those are weeds growing up in the yard behind it. Ahem.

Rosemary - another essential for cooking. We love cooking it with our rice.

This curious little plant has a slight cucumber taste. It should be a great compliment to salads, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment